Innumerable help forum posts suggest that the following scenario is not uncommon. You update Photoshop to the latest version and open the software to start working. But, alas, all of your favourite third-party Photoshop plugins have disappeared. In fact, it recently happened to me. Take heart, all is not lost. It is not difficult to restore lost Photoshop plugins after an update.
Here’s what I did to fix the issue. These instructions are for Mac computers.
How to Restore Lost Photoshop Plugins
- Close Photoshop if it is running.
- Open a new Finder window.
- Open the “Applications” folder.
- Open the folder for the previous version of Photoshop.
- In the Photoshop folder find and open the “Plugins” folder.
- Copy all of the third-party plugin folders you find in the “Plugins” folder.
- Now, open the folder for the current version of Photoshop.
- Again, locate and open the “Plugins” folder.
- Paste the third-party plugin folders into the “Plugins” folder for the latest version.
- Reopen Photoshop. Your Plugins should be there again.
So, hopefully that will fix the problem and all will be well again in the Photoshop Plugin universe.
Watch a video version of this fixit tip.